How to set up Light Blue on a new computer
This guide is for anyone who’s got a new computer they wish to install Light Blue on.
It might be the first time you’ve installed Light Blue on your own computer or you may have bought a brand-new computer for yourself! Or it could be a computer which you own, but will be used by someone else; like a new team member joining your studio on-site. Or perhaps even a computer used by someone remotely; maybe a virtual assistant or a team member who doesn’t work at your studio.
The key difference between these scenarios is whether you wish to share your main Light Blue account password or not.
There may be certain instances where you feel comfortable with this. However to keep your account fully secure it’s not something we would recommend; it’s very a easy and straightforward process to give your new team member all that they need to get up and running without having to share your password.
Installing Light Blue on your own computer
- Log into your online account through the “My Account” tab you can see top right on our website and head to the “Download links” section. 👉 Follow this link to take you to the login page and then directly to the “Download links” section.
- Download the installer for your operating system.
- When you run the installer, you’ll be asked to enter your Light Blue account email address and password.
- Once you’ve entered these, all your account data will download from our servers into the Light Blue application on your new computer and you’ll be good to go! NB. If you’ve enabled the staff password feature, you may need to enter your staff password during the download.
NB. You don’t need to ‘register’ your new computer in the “Manage my devices” section – your new computer will automatically be added once you’ve installed Light Blue on it.
Installing Light Blue on someone else’s computer
First of all, if the computer is being used by someone new to your team you’ll want to set them up as a resource within your Light Blue account. Doing this allows you to:
- grant different access privileges to each staff member,
- allocate tasks, meetings, and shoots to team members,
- and see which team member completed certain actions.
1. Adding the new team member to Light Blue
- You do this through the “Preference” pane in Light Blue. Click on “Resources” in the “Business Setup” category and “Add Record”.
⭐️ Top tip: It’s a good idea to set individual passwords for different staff members. This is simply done by clicking on the “Set Password” button in their record then entering, and confirming, the password.
2. Light Blue installation
- Once your new team member is set up and they’re installing Light Blue themselves, you want to generate a ‘one-time password’ which gives the new team member the ability to install it without knowing your main Light Blue password.
- Log into your online account through the “My Account” tab you can see top right on our website and head to the “Manage my devices” section. 👉 Follow this link to take you to the login page and then directly to the “Manage my devices” section.
- Click the “Create new one-time password” button. Your one-time password is then displayed. NB. Only create this when you know your new team member is ready to install Light Blue on their computer as the one-time password is only valid for 24 hours from creation.
- Once you’ve done that, click on “Download links” to view and download the installer for the operating system of the new computer – remember it may not be the same as yours!
- Send the installer and ‘one-time password’ to the new member of your team. And if you’ve set up staff passwords on your account send that too. NB. The installer is a large file so you will need to share this via an application like Dropbox or WeTransfer.
- The new member of your team then runs the installer and when prompted enters your account email address – not their own! – and uses the “I have a one-time password” option to activate Light Blue.
- Once they’ve entered these, all your account data will download from our servers into the Light Blue application on their new computer and they’ll be good to go! NB. If you’ve enabled the staff password feature, they may need to enter their staff password during the download. And if you’re installing Light Blue on their computer for them, make sure you enter their staff details here and not your own.