🎥 Tracking email opens & clicks
Enabling email tracking features
When you send emails from Light Blue’s email servers, you can track whether those emails have been opened or if the links in them have been clicked. This is optional, and you can turn the feature on by:
- Opening Light Blue’s Preferences window, going into the “Email” section and making sure that you’re opting to send emails via Light Blue
- Ensuring that you’re sending emails via Light Blue’s email servers (tracking information is only applied to emails sent from Light Blue’s email servers)
- Choosing one of the options from the “Track Emails Sent Via Light Blue’s Servers” menu.
If you turn on email tracking, emails sent via Light Blue’s email servers will have tracking information embedded into them. When your clients read your emails or click on any links contained in them, this tracking information will be sent to us and visible in Light Blue.
Viewing tracking information
To see whether an email has been opened or a link clicked, open it up from the Outbox or the relevant Activity panel. You’ll see whether the email has been opened or any of its links clicked, and you can show on the “Show details” button to find out:
- When the event happened.
- Which IP address triggered the event.
- The user agent that triggered the event (i.e. which browser or email client was used).
It’s important to note that email open tracking might not be 100% accurate, for a variety of reasons. For example, some email providers and email apps can block email open events from being reported back to us. We’ve also heard of email open events being triggered by some automated content filters.
If you CC or BCC yourself into emails, be careful not to trigger open or click events yourself! You can tell Light Blue to BCC normal emails to yourself via the “Email” preferences panel, and you can also turn off having client portal notifications (e.g. when a contract is signed or an online invoice is paid) CCed to your email address by un-ticking the “Automatically CC Client Portal Emails To Yourself” option.